NamPower wheel brushes are wheel-shaped brushing tools that remove burrs and improve the outer diameter (OD) surface finish of machined parts. Made by Brush Research Manufacturing (BRM), these metalworking tools feature abrasive-nylon impregnated nylon filaments for a safer alternative to wire wheels and a performance advantage over non-woven abrasive brushes.
With their composite hubs and well-balanced construction, NamPower wheel brushes reduce machine fatigue and filament breakage. These BRM power brushes also put more cutting tips at the point of attack for shorter cycle times and longer tool life. Use NamPower wheel brushes for machine-based and offhand deburring and surface finishing, and for cleaning, polishing, and edge radiusing.
Abrasive Types and Grit Size or Mesh
BRM supplies NamPower wheel brushes with silicon carbide or diamond abrasive.
- Silicon carbide abrasive is used with industrial metals such as aluminum and steel. Applications include turbine blades, steel gears, machined parts, extrusion cut-offs, and shaft finishing.
- Diamond abrasive is used with harder materials such as carbide, ceramic, cubic boron nitride (CBN), and glass. Applications include deburring gears made of hardened tool steels and polishing the flute reliefs on drills, end mills, and reamers made of high-speed steels (HSS) or carbide.
Standard NamPower wheel brushes with silicon carbide abrasive wheels are available in different grit sizes. As a rule, coarser grits (lower numbers) have larger filament diameters. The result is a brushing tool that’s less flexible, but more aggressive.
NamPower diamond abrasive wheel brushes come standard in 600 mesh for just the right amount of cutting action.
- With end mills and reamers, a polished flue relief enhances chip removal and promotes longer tool life.
- With carbide inserts, edge radiusing prevents fracturing and premature insert wear.
Brush Diameters and Other Product Specifications
NamPower wheel brushes that use silicone carbide or diamond abrasive are available in various diameters.
- Silicon carbide NamPower wheels come in 6-inch (150 mm) and 8-inch (200) diameters.
- Diamond abrasive NamPower wheels are available in 4 inch (100mm), 6 inch (150mm), and 8 inch (200mm) diameters.
Burr size, part shape and conformity, radius requirements, final finish requirement, and the machinery on which the brush is used are all factors that determine brush diameter selection. NamPower wheel brush users need to consider face width and trim length, too.
Find NamPower Wheel Brushes at IMTS 2016
Are you headed to IMTS 2016 in September? Then request a meeting with the BRM technical team to ask questions and get answers about NamPower wheel brushes. Can’t wait for the International Manufacturing Technology Show (IMTS)? Not headed to Chicago for this industry-leading event? Then watch this video about NamPower wheel brushes, and download the NamPower Resource Guide for more information.